Flipper Zero is controlled by a 4-button directional pad with the ok button in the center and the back button beside it. An RGB LED provides multi-color notifications. This documentation labels each Flipper Zero button with an icon and a unique name:
- :up: UP
- :left: LEFT — also used for reboot
- :right: RIGHT
- :down: DOWN
- :ok: ОК — also enter in the Main Menu
If the Flipper Zero firmware freezes or works incorrectly, you can reboot the device by pressing :left:LEFT + :back:BACK simultaneously. This is a hardware reboot that triggers the CPU to restart firmware. Read more about Reboot modes.
Desktop — is the name of Flipper Zero's main screen, Dolphin spends most of the time on this screen. There is a status bar on the top of this screen with various notifications: battery charge gauge, microSD card status, Bluetooth info etc.
From the Desktop you can directly navigate to four quick access applications:
You can only enter Quick Access Apps from the Desktop screen, the keypad must be unlocked.
- :up:UP — The Lock menu: Lock the buttons, protect the device with a PIN code.
- :left:LEFT — Launch the Favorite app.
- :right:RIGHT — Dolphin passport, shows your dolphin's name, XP and mood.
- :down:DOWN — Archive with saved keys and remotes.
- :ok:OK — Main Menu.
In the Lock menu you can lock the Flipper Zero's keypad preventing accidental button presses, set a PIN code, and enter DUMB mode. To enter the Lock menu press :up:UP on the Desktop screen.
- Lock — Lock the keypad to prevent accidental input.
- Set PIN — Set a PIN code to unlock your Flipper Zero with.
- DUMB mode — A mode that turns Flipper Zero into an innocent device. Only game-related functions will be available in the DUMB mode.
- Enter the Lock menu by pressing :up:UP on the Desktop.
- Select Lock and press the :ok:OK button.
- A message saying Locked will appear and the top left corner of the screen will display a 🔒 icon.
To unlock the device, quickly press :back:BACK 3 times.
Archive is an application allowing quick access to your saved keys and remotes. For example, launching emulation is faster from the Archive than it is from the main menu. Besides emulating, you can rename and delete keys, and you can add any item you have to favourites in the Archive app.
Archive displays all the saved user keys, signals, remotes and scripts. Items in the Archive are sorted by protocol, with each tab containing items of a particular type. The :right: RIGHT and :left:LEFT buttons are used to navigate between tabs.
Tabs in the Archive app:
- Favorites — pinned keys for quick access.
- Sub-GHz — radio remotes & signals in the range.
- RFID LF — low frequency tags .
- NFC — high frequency 13,56 MHz tags NFC.
- Infrared — infrared remotes & signals Infrared.
- iButton — Dallas Touch Memory keys iButton.
- Bad USB — scripts for USB attacks.
- U2F — 2FA (2-Factor authentication) keys.
- Browser — allows managing files in the Internal Flash memory and on the microSD card.
Press :ok:OK to open the context menu in the Archive:
- Run in app — launches emulation, same as selecting "Emulate" from the original application's menu.
- Pin — adds the selected item to the Favorites tab for quick access.
- Rename — changes the name of the file.
- Delete — deletes the file from your device.
The Favorite App feature allows you to set two applications for quick access right from the Desktop. For example, you can set the NFC and iButton applications as primary and secondary favorite applications. After that, you will not need to look for them in the Main Menu each time you want to read an NFC card or iButton key.
You can set favorite applications by doing the following:
- Go to Main Menu → Settings → Desktop.
- Select Primary Favorite App or Secondary Favorite App and press :ok:OK.
- In the list, select an application for quick access and press :ok:OK.
To launch the Primary Favorite App while on the Desktop, press the :left:LEFT button once. To launch the Secondary Favorite App while on the Desktop, press and hold the :left:LEFT button.
All Flipper Zero apps are available from the Main Menu. Press :ok:OK while on the Desktop to enter the Main Menu.